As usual, Stop the GR Bullies add two and two and come up with 167. I’ve mentioned before that they claimed I was Ann Somerville based on no proof. Now they think they have proof, because Ann happened to know that a troll on her site was the same person who trolled this site.
This is almost as good as the time they claimed Anna Karenina from the Amazon forums was multiple other bloggers because she wrote about colours, and they had colours in their names. FYI, STGRB: Normal people do this thing, it’s called communicating. It means that more than one person can know something. Like, an IP address of someone who has trolled multiple sites.
Of course, STGRB will probably take this post as confirmation I AM Ann Somerville, coz they’re dense like that. Any one who has ever seen Ann’s blog would have to wonder why she would bother to create a pseudonym to post under, since she pulls no punches on her own blog. The truth? She wouldn’t. She hasn’t. More truth: Ann is so much smarter than them, it took her approximately 10 minutes to figure out who I actually am. In fact, most people against STGRB actually know who I am, which makes their gleeful, childish crowing even more hilarious.
What’s not hilarious is the disgusting way they talk about Ann. They commonly refer to her as “Looney Tune” and their latest post features a vile “poem” attacking Ann called “Ode to a Loon”. This is not only immature, ableist and downright nasty – it’s bullying, even by their own definition. Humiliating, insulting, gossiping, name-calling, teaming up on, verbally attacking, spreading false rumours and attempting to destroy reputations with lies? Check, check, check, check, check, check, check and triple check. You could also add in harassing and sending friends after if you believe, as I do, that “Linda”/”Stop Them”, the owner of the troll IP in question, is associated with STGRB.
Well done, STGRB. You’re really fighting the good fight.
Hello my little owls! Have you missed me? I’m sorry for not posting in awhile, but I haven’t abandoned you. I just reached my tolerance limit for stupidity and hypocrisy and couldn’t visit STGRB for awhile without breaking out in hives. Because boy, have they been stupid lately. My favourites:
- They made a whole post consisting solely of comments from their visitors. Apparently that’s a “dedication” to them. Hey STGRB, you know everyone can see the comments on the actual posts, right? You don’t need to repost them. Way to make it look like you actually have something to say, though.
- They attacked Lucy again, as well as Foz Meadows (I’ll post about this in more detail soon).
- They wrote a post called “Review Writing 101” – but don’t let the name fool you into thinking they actually have some original thoughts to impart. No, they just copy-pasted the posts of two other writers – one of them being Kat Kennedy, in yet another attack on her. They took a tongue-in-cheek post and reported it as literal to make her look nasty and stupid. Too bad they’re the only ones that ended up looking that way. It’s actually pretty hilarious.
- They dragged up some old wank about someone called Robin Sulliven being banned from Absolute Write last year. Which has no relevance to anything on Goodreads or, y’know, the present time. Well, except for the fact that Melissa Douthit set herself up as a champion for Robin, deliberately trolling Absolute Write and getting herself banned in the process (see the comments on this post). Why is this relevant? Well, who else would care about this old drama other than the obsessive self-appointed author avenger, Melissa Douthit? Oh, that’s right, her old neighbour, Athena Parker. Of course. I totally believe they are two separate people. Right. (BTW, Robin herself doesn’t appear to have been active online since the beginning of the year).
- Here’s where things get really good: In a post entitled “The Amazon Review Mafia, Part 2”, they seize on a comment made by someone called “Deltaforce” on their previous post, stating that basically, the “bully” reviewers are employees of publishing houses, trying to eliminate the indie “competition. I actually laughed out loud when I read this. It’s just so preposterous. Of course, STGRB love a good conspiracy theory, so they spent the greater part of a week “investigating”. The results of their efforts? An old email from a “fan” claiming to have been deleted from Goodreads for flagging one review, corroborated by the vague assertion that “several independent authors” that Athena “knows” were also deleted for doing “absolutely nothing” (Aside – gosh, that woman gets around, doesn’t she? She was Douthit’s old neighbour and she just happens to know other indie authors? But she’s not one herself? Impressive!). Then there’s an email from a “site visitor” that was actually sent to Goodreads, whinging about the Badly Behaving Authors group. Apparently it’s meaningful because Goodreads hasn’t responded… maybe they’re unconscious from so much headdesking at all the stupid. There’s also screenshots of a short comment “John Green” made on an Amazon forum mocking “G. Faso” and “D. Brimson”, and a comment made by a “John” on STGRB – which both prove nothing at all. Then they link to and copy-paste from a post written by notorious BBA Jaq D. Hawkins, in which she whines about how her books are rated/shelved. Then they say that many of the “active reviewers” on Goodreads have friends in common, and most of their accounts are protected. This is simply shocking! Or, you know, completely normal for a social networking site. FFS, they really have no idea how Goodreads works, do they? Oh, and the fact that their profiles are set to private? It couldn’t be because there’s obsessive stalkers targeting their group of friends and outing their personal information, could it? Of course not, that would be too logical for the minds of STGRB. It’s clearly evidence those bullies are hiding something. Ha! Finally, STGRB post a screenshot of an Amazon discussion in which most of the posts have been deleted by Amazon, saying the forums are “littered” with these “missing” pages. This is actually true, but it’s not because of some Big Six conspiracy – it’s because of badly behaving self-published authors who spam the Kindle forums with self-promotion, which is not allowed. It’s not rocket science, kiddos. Unfortunately, STGRB aren’t done yet – they claim that the fact that the reviews they’ve been flagging haven’t been deleted is evidence that GR supports and encourages “bullying of authors”. Or there’s another option. Call me crazy, but it could be because the flagged reviews are not actually bullying. That what STGRB claims is bullying is not. And that the speshul snowflakes who throw tantrums and troll reviews somehow violate the Goodreads TOS and get their asses banned. Just maybe.
- STGRB followed up this poor excuse for an investigation with two more posts which are copy-pastes of other people’s work, both of which are tl;dr but which I assume are supposedly supporting their conspiracy that the Big 6 publishers are out to get poor little self-published authors. Or something. Oh, and then they start quoting Jesus.